Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us! Here at SpicyGreenBook.com, we strive to reach as many businesses and communities as possible and are always open to individuals who want to contribute to our mission! It is imperative to us that every business listed on our website is presented with the utmost quality and consistency. Maintaining these standard stakes time and pools talent from a wide variety of people. All volunteer roles listed below correspond to the listed contributions and we’ll link your website/social media pages. If you’re interested in volunteering with us, here are a few positions we’re looking for:
Local ideal, remote is possible.
Your role as a Project Manager will be to identify black owned businesses that may be interested in listing on our site. It will also be your job to coordinate with members of your team to complete all necessary tasks for a listing. Duties will include:
- Identifying new listings in the local area.
- Contacting business owners to determine if they’re interested in being listed.
- Coordinating with volunteer Writers, Photographers, Videographers, Content Managers and any other service providers needed to generate content for the listing.
- Coordinating with business owners to schedule your team’s visit and what you’ll need upon arrival for the photo shoot and interview.
- Ensuring all information provided in the listing is accurate and up-to-date.
*Please note that you’ll be given credit noting your contributions including links to your social media and website, if desired.
Local or self-sponsored travel
take all necessary photos to create the listing while ensuring the highest possible presentation quality. Duties will include:
- Coordinating with the Project Manager to schedule the photo shoot and go over what you’ll need.
- Coordinating with the Writers to ensure all necessary pictures are taken.
- Creating an array of photos that capture the business’ story and unique menu items.
- Photos should include quality images that display food, the business’ brand/logo, the owners (if they choose to be a part of it), what sets the business apart, images that correspond to the story provided by your team’s Writer and anything else that would help represent the business on our website.
*Please note that depending on your preference, you’ll be credited as the Photographer for the listing's photo which will include links to your social media and website for media content.
Local ideal, remote is possible
Your role as a Writer will be to speak with the business owner to learn more about their business and the unique story behind it. Duties will include:
- Coordinating with the Project Manager to schedule a meeting with the business owner.
- Interviewing the owner to learn their story.
- Creating compelling content that highlights the business and enable users to understand and develop a connection with the owners.
- Coordinating with the Photographers to ensure that all necessary pictures are taken to match your writing.
- Coordinating with the Videographer to ensure that all necessary shots are captured to accompany your story.
* Please note that depending on your preference, you’ll be credited as the Writer or journalist for the listing which will include links to your social media and website for written content.
Local or remote, local is ideal if working directly with a business
Your role as a designer or illustrator will be to provide web design, graphic design, or illustrations where it is needed. Some of the associated duties may include:
- Creating designs for SpicyGreenBook.com or its social media platforms
- Creating designs for owners who are open to being helped when it comes to improved branding and design to better represent their businesses. Know that each individual business will be capable of its own unique branding, content and graphics.
- Coordinating with Project Managers on any design work needed for a listing.
* Please note that depending on your preference, you’ll be credited as the Designer for the listing which will include links to your social media and website for design content.
Local or self-sponsored travel
Your role as a Videographer will be to work with the Project Manager and owner to help create a short film about the business. Some owners may want to provide a first-person account of their story or perhaps a demonstration of their process. Duties will include:
- Coordinating with the Project Manager to determine what is needed/desired by the business owners.
- Creating a film highlighting whatever the owners choose to highlight.
- Coordinating with the Writer to ensure that the story they provide corresponds to the video.
- Coordinating with the business owner, Writer, Project Manager, and Content Manager to film an interview.
* Please note that depending on your preference, you’ll be credited as the Videographer for the listing which will include links to your social media and website for video content.
Local or remote
Your role as a Social Media Strategist will be to create and expand the social media reach of SpicyGreenBook.com. Duties will include:
- Creating and marketing of social media pages for SpicyGreenBook.com
- Assisting with website branding
- Creating posts that highlight some of the businesses listed on our website.
- Assist in the growth, reach and development of the website in coordination with SpicyGreenBook.com Creators.
- Engaging with others on social media to maintain high brand recognition
* Please note that depending on your preference, you’ll be credited as the Social Media Ambassador for the listing which will include links to your social media and website for content.
Local or remote
Your role as a member of the fundraising team will be to market SpicyGreenBook.com to potential donors. Duties will include:
- Identifying and engaging with potential donors.
- Identifying or creating potential events to help with fundraising.
- Discuss specifics with donors, if requested, on how money will be used.
- Work with Social Media Ambassadors to help expand and advertise SpicyGreenBook.com
Your role as a public relations team member will be to help SpicyGreenBook.com with marketing and representation, to ensure that the organization and our affiliates are portrayed in the best light possible. Duties will include:
- Helping coordinate what will be asked, and which photos will be taken on business visits.
- Assist the marketing team in the production of content for the website and all other advertising ventures. Primarily to ensure that SpicyGreenBook.com is being represented in a way that fits our mission
- Be a point of contact for any outside organizations requesting information about SpicyGreenBook.com.
- Work with team members to ensure that content within listings is helping represent businesses in a way that upholds our standards at SpicyGreenBook.com
Your role as our newsletter writer will be to produce a weekly newsletter on behalf of SpicyGreenBook.com. Duties will include:
- Creation of a weekly newsletter to be posted on SpicyGreenBook.com that highlights the previous week’s happenings.
- Working with project teams to obtain accurate information about any listings being produced.
- Assisting the social media ambassadors with creation of content for social media profiles
If you’re interested in helping but feel that you don’t fit any of the roles listed above, let us know! Website development and upkeep require many different skill sets so we’re sure that you can help in some way. Also feel free to send people our way who you feel may be able to help.
If you’re looking to help grow our mission but can’t give your time, you can always donate. We also encourage you to help by being a patron of black-owned businesses!
“I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.”
- Angela Davis